3/27/2006

Big Changes

This won't be news to most of you, since I've been trying to keep our friends and family up to date on our latest bombshell. But since the blog has been woefully out of date, I figured it was about time I got around to updating the rest of the world on our news.

A few weeks ago, I accepted a job with Ackerman McQueen advertising in Oklahoma City. Alissa, Sam and I will be moving back to Norman next week. We honestly could not be happier about this latest chapter in our lives. We've dreamed for years of moving back to Oklahoma and raising a family in the state where we were both born. But we never thought it would be possible. Suddenly though, the opportunity presented itself and we seized it.

Not only was I able to find a job with an incredible company, but this new career will allow me to draw from and build upon, the skills I've acquired over the last 10 years. In my new position I'll be running a new media company, a challenge that is both intimidating and thrilling. It will be a fast-paced, highly charged environment, but I've always done my best work when I've been pushed to my limits, and I don't think this will be any exception. I'll be working long hours and traveling often, but at the end of the day I'll be able to come back to Norman, to a home and a family in a place I truly love.

Alissa and I have also been able to buy a house, which is something we've both dreamed of doing but never thought we'd achieve, at least not in the insane real estate market of Southern California. Unbelievably, we closed on a home last Friday, an experience that was so surreal that I'm still pinching myself just to make sure it wasn't a dream. The house we bought is a gorgeous 4 bedroom ranch, with loads of room for kids. It's also directly across the street from our closest friends in Norman, Mark & Jen, who also have 2 daughters Sam's age. It's all so perfect we still can't believe it.

But at the end of the day, this really is what it's all about. We've talked about doing this for years, and now it's finally a reality. Ironically, we worried that our friends and family would think we'd lost our minds to move to Oklahoma from LA, but everyone we've talked to has been supportive and some have even told us that they're jealous of our decision. We'll miss all our good friends here, and we'll miss the mountains and the ocean. But we won't miss the traffic, the high cost of living and all the pollution. And when we're sitting on our front porch back in Oklahoma in a few weeks, watching the sun set and Sam play in the yard, we won't doubt for a second that this was the right thing to do.

(click on the photo below to see more)
American Gothic Redeux

1 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Sam saying "I hope you don't expect me to do yardwork in OK"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >
Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com