10/16/2005

Football & Friends

It's Sunday afternoon, Sam is sleeping, Alissa's getting things together for our upcoming trip and I'm recovering from a long ride in the mountains this morning. It's been a great weekend. Sam's been sweeter than pumpkin pie for days now, and the realization is starting to sink in that we may actually have survived the worst of the "dark days." I've got no doubt that there will be many trying times ahead, but for now we're really enjoying how fun Sam has become.

Yesterday we had a bunch of friends over for burgers and football. Shane & Sandra came over with their little boy Emmett, who is just 10 days younger than Sam. It's amazing how much they've both grown! Our friend Patti, who's in town producing a show for VH1 came by, as did our buddy Tom and my good friend Nikki, who brought her boyfriend Charlie along as well. My cousin Phil also came over with two of his buddies from OU. Phil and his friends were kind of blown away by all the babies and baby gear on display, and I laughed when I thought about all the times I'd been in similar situations when I was their age. They were real troopers, even though they all agreed that they were a LONG way from being ready to have babies of their own. Just for fun, we let Phil try his hand at holding Sam, who didn't seem to mind at all. Phil on the other hand, looked like we'd just handed him a live bomb.

IMG_3190

One of the funniest moments of the day happened when Notre Dame scored a touchdown. We all jumped up and started yelling, and completely forgot that Sam and Emmett were in the room, peacefully watching the game. I wish I had a picture of the look on Sam's face; both his arms shot straight up over his head, his eyes were wide open, he was bright red, and he was making the face we've started calling "the saddest face in the world." He froze there for a couple of seconds in complete shock, then burst into tears. I picked him up to calm him, and suddenly realized that both Shane and I were doing the daddy dance in the living room with two screaming babies. It was definitely a Kodak moment.

Sadly, USC ended up beating Notre Dame to extend their wining streak, and assuring me another week of having to listen to their insufferable fans talk about the USC "Dynasty." (I'm not bitter, I swear) OU managed to beat Kansas, though they looked like a high school team doing it. The only consolation of the entire weekend sports-wise, was that the Cowboys beat the Giants, which means that my dad and I officially have bragging rights on Kerry's fiancee Kristin, who for some unknown reason, is a Giants fan. I'm pretty sure Kerry didn't know that before he asked her to marry him but I think that the fact that he's chosen to look past this obvious flaw in her personality says good things about their future as a couple.

At any rate, I'd better go give Alissa a hand getting ready for our trip. On Thursday we fly back East for a wedding and it should be quite an adventure. It's Sam's first trip on a plane and we're both excited and completely terrified. I'm sure everything will be fine and I know we're going to have a great time, it's just funny how what used to be a one bag trip has become like packing for a mission to the moon. Let's just hope that we remember to leave room for our own clothes!


Here are a few new Sam pics to keep you all entertained. Just click on the photo for a show.

IMG_3198

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >
Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com